Although this bread is a quick bread, it still takes about 35-45 minutes to bake. If I am making it on a weekday I whip it together and pop it in the oven as soon as I get in the door. That way it will have a chance to bake and cool while I get the rest of the meal together.
I have made this bread for years and I always serve it with chili. If you do try it, it is not recognizable as your classic cornbread, although it does get called that in our house. I find it keeps better than most cornbread and does not get dried out and crumbly the second day (if it lasts that long!)
Regrettably I cannot say for sure where I got this recipe. If memory serves me correctly I think it came from one of Anne Lindsay’s Heart Smart Cookbooks.
Buttermilk Herb Quick Bread
1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 1/4 cup buttermilk (I use whatever milk we have and a generous tablespoon of white vinegar)
1 egg beaten
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Top with 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cornmeal, herbs, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- In a small mixing bowl beat one egg and then add buttermilk, oil, honey.
- Mix the liquid ingredients well and then add to the dry ingredients.
- Spoon into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper (alternatively you could grease and flour the pan)
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Bake at 350°C for 35-45 minutes depending on the size of your loaf pan.