Perhaps it seems to exotic to fall into the quick and easy category?
Well, exotic or not, this Thai Curry is quick and tasty enough to spruce up your weeknight dinner repertoire.
I came across a version of this recipe in Deborah Madison’s Vegetarian Suppers, but after taking a look at the recipe I realized that it was basically the same as the one on the side of my jar of Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste.
Thats right. I took this recipe straight of the side of the jar of curry paste – with the appropriate vegetarian modifications, of course. You certainly do not have to limit yourself to the red curry, as the green curry paste is equally good. In addition, feel free to experiment with the vegetables: half a can of baby corn, some broccoli or cauliflower would work equally well. I also think a bit of spinach would be a tasty addition.
Aside from slicing a carrot and a couple of shallots, chopping and seeding a roma tomato, cubing a package of firm tofu, and tearing some basil leaves, the meal came together with frozen green beans, frozen peas, and a can of coconut milk. To cut down on time I decided to forgo the brown rice and use brown rice noodles instead. They cook quite a bit quicker and offer a pleasant change of pace.
Thai Curry with Vegetables and Tofu
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 -14 ounce can light coconut milk
1-2 tablespoons Thai Kitchen red curry paste (this is quite spicy, so adjust for personal taste!)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons soya sauce
1 block firm tofu, cubed
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 roma tomato, seeded and chopped
2 medium carrots (cut into thirds and thinly sliced lengthwise)
1 cup of frozen green beans
1/4 cup of frozen green peas
10 basil leaves, shredded
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet add tofu cubes and cook until golden. You will need to turn the tofu half-way through cooking.
- Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside. In the same pan gently fry the scallions for 3 minutes and then add the curry paste, stirring until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, soy sauce and sugar and stir to mix well
- Add the carrots, tomato, green beans,peas and simmer until tender (about 10 minutes)
- Add the tofu and basil and cook until heated through
- Add water if sauce is too thick.