Store bought ones are nice too – especially if you are in a hurry. But how would you feel about quick and easy homemade veggies burgers?
I have been looking around for good veggie burger recipes, some good and some not so good. The good news is these veggie burgers are extremely quick to make, easy to put together and they hold their shape. They taste great too! The chipotle chile powder adds more flavour than it does heat without making the burgers taste overly smoky. It might be worth trying some cheddar cheese in place of the parmesan. We paired the burgers with guacamole and fresh tomato, forgoing the mustard and ketchup, and it worked wonderfully with the burger’s seasonings. These burgers are easy enough to have come under my “do not have a lot of time to cook on a weeknight, because we have somewhere to go afterwards” meal category, and tasty enough for me to make them again.
Tonight we took the in-law’s dog Murphy for a walk. They are out of town and he is being boarded at a kennel. We figured it would be nice for him to a see a familiar face or two during his sojourn.
So, I got home from work, got the burgers started, ate and headed off to meet Murphy all before 6:30. That is fast!
I should mention that I adapted this recipe from the fantastic new cookbook that EPC and I picked up a couple of weeks ago, Lukas Volger’s Veggie Burgers Every Which Way. The book has received rave reviews and I am excited to try other recipes such as Beet and Brown Rice Burgers and Smoked Tofu Burgers. There are over 30 different burger recipes, many of which are gluten-free (12), vegan (15) or both (9).
Quick and Easy Veggie Burgers
1 1/2 cups of black beans
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Freshly ground pepper, 4 or so turns of the pepper mill
3/4 cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
- Mash the beans with a potato masher, add the eggs, cilantro, cheese, spices and salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375°C
- Add the bread crumbs and stir to mix. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes so the breadcrumbs can soak up the moisture.
- Moisten your hands and shape the burgers into four patties.
- Lightly spray your oven proof fry pan (I used cast iron) with oil and saute the burgers for 5 minutes or so on each side. You want them to brown and form a nice crust
- Transfer the pan into the oven and bake for 10 -15 minutes until heated through.